Monday, September 19, 2011

The Adventures of Cel and the Eski Kids Part 1

This week marks the first week that I am group teacher, which means I am in charge of Kids for the whole camp!
I started the week out on a hefty 14 hours sleep. ‘14 hours??’ I hear you whisper, ‘how is it possible to sleep for 14 hours and get to work on time?’ Well I’ll let you in on the secret. Firstly you get 5 hours sleep on Friday and Saturday night, then you wake up early and go to church, then you go exploring in the warby ranges with your friends, then you come home, scream at you mother unnecessarily, storm to your room and throw yourself on the bed, contemplate getting up to yell some more and then fall asleep until the next morning.
Getting back to teaching though: I realised, when I was leading these kids around that despite me learning this year that primary school children aren’t evil soul sucking parasites I still don’t want to ever be a primary school teacher. One on one kids are alright but as a group they just stare at me blankly because apparently I use far too many big words. Maybe I’ll work with babies when I am older, that way I can use big words and they won’t know the difference.
So our first activity was flying fox. I was up the top hooking kids in for my first time. I tell you, the only thing more exhilarating than jumping off a cliff whilst attached to a flying fox is throwing someone else’s child off a cliff after attaching them to a flying fox. I swear after every kid jumped my heart skipped a beat and my head screamed “you didn’t attach them properly!!” But it’s ok because they all survived.
While I was attaching them I heard two gems of wisdom relating to fear. The first one was “My Mum told me that if you don’t jump off a cliff then you will never face your fears.” The second was far more succinct and slightly less coherent “If you have no fear then you can eat deer.”
This led me to believe that I must have fear because I haven’t gone near deer since the traumatic deer pancake incident of 2002.

Anyway, that is all for today. Tune in tomorrow for caving and climbing.

1 comment: