Monday, October 17, 2011

B-Boys Fly girls Put your hands in the air!

When I was little, I decided that it was high time our family went on a holiday. I ran the idea by Mum and she asked me where I wanted to go. I thought about my favourite holiday destination ever; Siesta Resort.* Mum said if I could organise it then we could go. So I looked up their number in the phonebook and called to get a quote about how much it would cost a family of five to stay for two nights. Much to my anger, the woman on the other end seemed to think that, due to my 8 year old voice, I wasn’t actually serious about booking a holiday. Incensed, I decided that I wasn’t going to waste my time and (mums) money on a place that treated me so dismissively. Then I got distracted and forgot about my quest for a holiday.
The point of the story was that when I was 8 years old I wanted a holiday and I wasnt taken seriously. Now I am 19 and I am organising a holiday and everybody’s taking me seriously and it is SCARING THE FREAKING PANTS OFF ME! For example, Today I bought a ticket around the world. Yep, around the whole wide world. Now I have to book plane flights in between cities and I feel like I am doing something naughty or I am going to screw up the whole thing. I sit for 10 minutes staring a ticket on my computer screen knowing that it is what I want but struggling to grasp the fact that it is an ACTUAL ticket. Maybe if a ticket shot out of the big card slot in the side of my computer then it would help me make the connection between real life and the clicks of my mouse.

*It transpires that Siesta Resort is not a glamorous, ritzy resort in a far away land, it is actually in Albury and about two minutes drive where I play soccer. It really put a hole in the magic of it.

The song that is the title of this post always reminds me of Siesta Resort, my Siesta memories have a soundtrack.

No comments:

Post a Comment