Monday, October 24, 2011

Warning: See you next tuesday.

I have been working with a special needs school these past two days.
I was talking to a teacher today about one of the kids who attend the school not because he has any severe physical or intellectual disability but because of his behavioural problems. The teacher was telling me how they try and give him good role modelling but his home life is putting him at a massive disadvantage. He was telling me that he went to pick up this kid for camp and as left the house his dad yelled “just fuck off you stupid cunt!*”
I had a near physical reaction to this story not because he dropped the C-bomb at school but because it broke my heart.
During the 2 days working with disabled kids it consolidated to me that that is definitely not something I want to do, but when the teacher told me this story I realised that working with teenaged boys in this circumstance, no matter how heartbreaking it could be, is something that I am really passionate about.
It was a good experience because occasionally I wonder if I am sure about what I want to do. I most definitely am.
* Sorry Patto if you are reading this, and everyone else who finds the C-bomb offensive- but the remark is less cutting when it is watered down.

No comments:

Post a Comment